Pretty — With Parking 2: After
After switching the U-shaped drive & the huge bed, the property’s potential to accept plenty of visitors & their inevitable vehicles—while also maintaining a gracious & cottage-garden feel—was at last realized.
- Louis reversed location of the U-drive & the big front bed. With the bed right outside the house, the driveway (now repaved) could be at a more tolerable distance.
- Even the first summer after the Big Switch, the housefront was much more inviting.
- The size of the front bed is far more apparent in this picture: In a word, enormous! It was so large that it could handle horticulture that would, itself, become so large it would screen any cars parked out front from view not just from the house, but from the front porch.
- The front walkway is very broad by design, so that there will be plenty of room for the exuberant plantings on either side to spill far out onto it without impeding foot traffic.
- A year later, the billow onto the front walkway is already building.
- Because the house is used only during the summer, plenty of colorful foliage needed to help carry the show week after week after week.
- Perennials, ornamental grasses, clumping bamboo, and colorful shrubs all help create summer-long excitement.
- Here, variegated gooseneck is a fraction the vigor of its all-green form, but is still plenty firm about creating colorful, weed-proof groundcover.
- Hardy geranium foliage creates good groundcover, too. The crazy "dinosaur fern" foliage is actually that of a huge native daisy, compass plant.
- Flowering stems of compass plant can soar to ten feet, bearing unusual "dinosaur fern" foliage all the way up.
- Yellow daisies at the top brighten August.
- By the second summer, the bulk & excitement of the house-front beds are already in evidence. In another year or two, some growth will be as high as the porch roof, creating a private outdoor space, improbably, just steps away from the driveway.
- Seen from the other end of the U-shaped driveway, the enormous beds extend an unstintingly fond & hearty greeting to owners & visitors alike.