A summer cottage on a private lane needed a street-front garden that said “Welcome!” but also provided some privacy for a cozy front terrace.
- For such a sunny site in summer, the palette had to celebrate plants that bask in the heat. Purple-leaved cannas lord over white four-o'clocks, black-purple coleus, &, at the very left, Abyssinian gladiolas. At the back, an immense upright form of white bush-clover, which will come into flower in September.
- Prairie eryngium, white nicotiana, Argentine verbena &, at the back right, switch grass are all sun-lovers.
- When the white bush clover bursts into bloom in September, the garden becomes livelier than ever.
- A rare Asian vining shrub, Regel's three-wing nut, scrambles through the Hollywood juniper.
- The wingnut's frothy flowers mature to showy clusters of three-winged seeds.