Urban Garden 1: Before
Placeholder body text
- A vast city estate was subdivided in the 1940’s, with its gigantic tile-topped, stuccoed Italian revival mansion replaced by a pair of sleek Bauhaus-esque brick residences. The property’s tiled-topped perimeter walls, plus the also-gigantic carriage house, are all that remain of the original. Here, the rear garden of the larger of the Bauhaus houses, with an astonishingly exciting layout of terraces & pathways laid low by pedestrian plantings. The view is from the residence’s garden door to the back perimeter wall and its spitting fountain.
- The garden door of the Bauhaus residence; the spitting fountain in the original photograph is to the back of the photographer.
- Looking across the back of the Bauhaus residence at the left, to the perimeter wall that, originally, separated the Italian mansion from the gigantic carriage house at the back of the shot. The carriage house, a mansion in itself by contemporary standards, is now a separate residence.
- The original perimeter walls were extended through the now-divided property, so that the carriage-house’s garden & this of the Bauhausian's were separate.
- A side garden is a surprise off the terrace onto which the spitting fountain gives. A high brick university building across the street presents an opportunity for better large-scale screening.